July 3, 2010

Fighting diabetes...one step at a time.

Well...it's that time again! :)



In October, I will be joining more than 100,000 fellow walkers from across the country in this year's Step Out: Walk to Fight Diabetes to raise money for the American Diabetes Association. I will be gathering donations and walking to help stop diabetes - for the third year in a row!

I am humbly asking for your help. By making a donation of even a mere $10 on my behalf, you will be helping the American Diabetes Association provide community-based education programs, protect the rights of people with diabetes and fund critical research for a cure.

Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not produce or properly use insulin. Insulin is a hormone that is needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for daily life. The cause of diabetes continues to be a mystery, although both genetics and environmental factors appear to play roles.

There are 23.6 million Americans living with diabetes, a disease that is outpacing heart disease, cancer and AIDS.

As many of you know, my boyfriend of almost four years and his sister were both diagnosed with Type 1 (also known as juvenile-onset) diabetes when they were each 8 years old. Though they have each found ways to keep it under control, it is not an easy disease to live with and constantly monitor every single day of their lives. Furthermore, several of my own family members struggle with Type II diabetes. I see each of these people I love battle the ups and downs and obstacles involved with diabetes; as such, I am deeply passionate about finding a cure for this terrible disease.

If we don't act now, one in three children born in the year 2000 will develop diabetes in their lifetime. I believe that my participation in this year's Step Out: Walk to Fight Diabetes can and will make a difference. Step Out: Walk to Fight Diabetes is one of the American Diabetes Association's biggest fundraisers. With the help of people like you, the American Diabetes Association can raise over $20 million to help stop diabetes.

Please help me reach my goal by supporting me for this year's Step Out: Walk to Fight Diabetes. Please follow the link below to my personal Web page to make a secure, 100% tax deductible donation.

**If you do not want to donate online, please make your check payable to the American Diabetes Association and email me to arrange snail-mail delivery.

Together we can stop diabetes. One step at a time.

Thank you so much everyone!

Click here to visit my personal page.

Click here to view the team page for NJBG Support

No comments: