September 16, 2009

Richie's solo in WWBTF -- fixed.

(Thanks for the heads up on this, Hath!)

Apparently the band - or at least Richie - DOES listen to us. Once in awhile.

I'm sure you've noticed - or at least heard others talking about - the lackluster solo in 'We Weren't Born To Follow', right? Jon screams "guitar!" and then Richie seems to timidly approach the spotlight and flick the strings in a short, simple, overly safe little pattern. And fans are left going...uh...wait just a minute!


Well, Mr. Sambora spoke with MusicRadar about the solo and its response. Here's what he had to say:

"When I recorded the solo to that song, I played a very melodic, kind of Beatles-esque break. That was the mood I was in. As soon as the song got leaked to radio, people went crazy, sending e-mails and Twittering and everything: 'We love the song, but what's with that solo? We want a rippin', burnin' Richie Sambora solo.

"So I said to Jon, 'Hey, do you want me to change it? We got time. And John was like, 'Sure. Go lay down another solo and we'll drop it in the song on the album.' So that's what I did - I cut it yesterday, in fact. It's a monster."

But does the guitarist mind having fans, in effect, 'produce' part of a song? "Nah!" he says, with a laugh. "When I played sessions, it was all about serving the song. Sometimes you have to test things out and see what works. I'm totally cool about the whole thing. And I guarantee that when people hear the new solo, they'll be stoked. Ask and you shall receive."

I am VERY happy to hear this -- I have said since the first time I heard the song that it was severely lacking in Richie talent. It's a fantastic anthem, but damn it, throw in some rippin' guitar and it's naturally 10x better.

I'm going to hold you to that guarantee, though, Rich - I better be 'stoked'!! ;)

1 comment:

Sambora_Wanted said...

This is very interesting. I have to say I'm surprised that they would even consider changing the song after hearing from fans. It's good news though to know that they do listen to us, Richie at least, and care what we want. That should have been a compiment to Richie to hear that people know how awesome he can play and want to hear that instead of a milder version of a Sambora solo. Can't wait to hear the new version! Thanks Becky!