May 25, 2009

Live: Blood On Blood in Moscow

It's time for another from-the-vault live performance highlight. 

Maybe I'm just hormonal from the (unwelcome) monthly visitor due to arrive any time now, but I found this rendition of Blood On Blood especially poignant and emotional tonight. Jon's monologue introduction clung to my heart and literally sent chills down my spine as I listened; the music opened up as if from the shadows and cracks of long ago, bringing with it the nostalgia and gut-wrenching memories of youth. 

It was beautiful. And though I've heard it before, and rank it as one of my favorite - if not THE favorite - version of this song, tonight I deem it worthy of its own spotlight. 

Have a listen yourself - and don't just turn it on in the background while you work. Stop what you're doing, and listen to Jon's words. Take them in. Understand the meaning of what he says in both political and social terms. Grasp the weight of the theme of friendship. Close your eyes and let the nostalgic guitar chords fill your heart - Jon's raw voice course through your blood. Remember what it was like in the 80's - at the height of 'good, God-blessed rock and roll'.

Hope that one day, we will all live our lives with love, friendship, and a "blood on blood" loyalty to our sisters and brothers...until kingdom come. 

Enjoy.


No comments: